Friday, April 18, 2008

Fitness...24 hours a day

It's true. I have joined 24 hour fitness. Paige joined first as it was less expensive per month than weight-watchers. I went in with her once and they gave me a 10 day guest pass. Just walking around in there the firs day was really intimidating.
I've been a member at the Brea City gym before, but the people there were not nearly as huge and buff, not nearly as dedicated (or obsessed, depending on how you want to look at it), and it was never as full of these people that were everywhere I looked when I was taking the tour. However, it is a 24 hour fitness "sport" club so on the tour I got to see the lap pool, excercise pool, jacuzzi, sauna, weight room, excercise machines, and rows of treadmills, bikes, ellipticals, stairmasters, and excercise classes. The thing that sets this gym apart most I think is the lap pool.
I used to swim in high school as part of the diving team and I really liked it. It helped me look bigger (I probably was bigger, actually). It has obviously been a really long time though because where I used to swim 400 meters as a warm-up, that was all I could do and my whole body was spent. I wouldn't have made it out of the pool if it weren't only 4 feet deep on one end. But I'm hoping I'll soon be back to where I was. It's probably the first time in my life that I've really been able to say, "I'm really out of shape." I don't think that previously I had been able to look back to a younger time in my life when I could've out-performed my present-day self; but now I can. I'm sure I'll have a lot of that ahead of me as the years and the kids take over. Oh well, c'est la vie.

8 comments:

Jessica Martiele said...

Oh my gosh, someone else says "cest la vie!" YAY, BLAKE! Anyway, trust me...YEARS to come of "wow, I was in such better shape back when..." Sorry. But I'm stoked you like to swim, too. That's probably my favorite of all exercise. I'm weightless, I get a whole-body, resistance-free workout, and it just feels super-nice. Good call. And congrats on your membership. Good times. Maybe Jay and I'll have to break down and get memberships ourselves...but then we'd have to use them...and...ugh. Never mind.

Unknown said...

I the realization of aging. Nate and I play co-ed softball a couple times a week. It's hardly a workout since it's slowpitch, but man I sure feel my age during those games and definately realize how far out of shape I am. Huffing and puffing after only running to first can't be good. Oh well. It's too fun to matter.

Unknown said...

Okay, I meant... I hate the realization of aging. kinda left out a word out and i'm a pycho perfectionist about little things like that because the sentence no longer made sense. apparently.

Anonymous said...

eh swimming is for loosers anyway. who swims anymore?!

Paige said...

...kids?...
*faints*

Jessica Martiele said...

Time for a new post, don't you think?

Jessica Martiele said...

No, seriously...POST SOMETHING NEW!

Jessica Martiele said...

By the way, my "word verification" below was:

GUOBUP.

Love it! (And this one is ewavugs)